UCW: United Church Women
PurposeTo unite the women of the congregation for the total mission of the church and to provide a medium through which we may express our loyalty and devotion to Jesus Christ in Christian witness, study fellowship and service.
- To provide opportunities for fellowship and mutual support.
- To encourage growth in Christian understanding, faith and experience through worship, Bible study and involvement in other activities.
- To encourage informed participation in the mission of the Church in the congregation, the community, the nation and the world.
- To cultivate Christian stewardship in all of life.
- To share financially in supporting the national church through the Mission and Service Fund, in meeting the needs of the Congregation through the budget of the church, in sharing the expenses of the Presbyterial and Conference organizations of the United Church Women and in supporting community undertakings.
- To develop Christian leadership for church and community.
- To encourage ecumenical understanding.
- To provide input to the ongoing work of directing and managing the life of the congregation.
- To appoint four voting delegates and alternates to the Annual Meeting of the Presbyterial United Church Women (or the number agreed upon to Presbytery if there is not Presbyterial).
The Sharing TreeEach year during Advent the Sharing Tree donations include numerous items such as mittens, scarves, sweaters, caps, pairs of slippers, knitted sets (caps, mitts, scarves), afghans; quilts, knitted toys, and baby dresses.
HistoryUCW was formed nationally and locally in 1962 uniting two groups of women of the church. One was the Women's Association (WA) which gathered for fellowship and also raised funds for the church. The second was the Women's Missionary Society (WMS) which studied the work of the missions and raised funds for missionaries.
Annual EventsCamrose UCW has several events occurring annually or on a regular basis.
- St. Patrick's Pie Event
- Salebration A "glorified garage sale" organized by the Lydia Circle.
- Another Pie Event
- Fun and Fellowship All women of our congregation and invited guests.
- Christmas Tea, Bazaar, Bake Sale
Collecting knitted, crocheted or sewn articles made during the year and donated by the congregation The church accepts donations of yarn which is used by many knitters. An average of 375 handcrafted articles are delivered local Camrose charities each year.
FundraisingCamrose United Church Women support the Mission and Service Fund with donations in the range of $7,200.00 annually. In addition, members give their free will offerings to two thank-offerings each year, one at Easter and Thanksgiving. One thank-offering each year goes to support some worthy national or international project; the other is used for a local program.
MeetingsGeneral UCW meets in the parlour on the first Monday of the month at 1:30 pm. There are no meetings in July and August.
Our two groups all meet in the Parlour on days and times listed below.
|Group||Date & Time||Leader|
|Lydia Circle||2nd Tuesday at 7:30 pm||Eileen Hunter|
|Unit L||2nd Thursday at 1:30 pm||Lois Sperry|
|General UCW||Gloria Wimmer|
All units welcome new members any time of the year. For more information call the church office
LinksAlberta & Northwest Conference UCW
This is the site for our Conference level of the United Church Women. (There is no web page for our Presbyterial at this time.)
Women's Interchurch Council of Canada
This is the national, ecumenical women's organization which sponsors the annual World Day of Prayer and the Fellowship of the Least Coin (among other things).
Revised April 2011